Sunday, June 30, 2013

Meatballs


Honestly, I have never really been a huge meatball or meatloaf person. It is really just a hunk of meat cooked, why not just have a hamburger! However, I am learning to enjoy them by adding lots of flavor. I originally saw an Asian Meatball recipe of Nom Nom Paleo's that inspired me but I didn't have fish sauce, cilantro, and I can't use tomato so I took it another direction.

We loved it. It will be made again soon and in larger quantities!

Meatballs

1 Pound Ground Beef
1 Pound Ground Pork
2 Cups Diced Mushrooms (I used white button)
1 Cup shredded Yam
4 Tablespoons Diced Onion
2 Tablespoons Ginger \
1 Tablespoon of Garlic
1/4 Cup Coconut Amino
Basil, Oregano,  Salt, and Pepper*

*With the spices, Eleanor chopped me a couple sprigs from the garden, it was about a teaspoon of each. The salt and pepper was just a couple turns of the grinder.

Toss everything in a big bowl and stir it up well, then add the meat and mush it all together. Form your meatballs and place on a cast iron pan. Cook at 375 until the the internal temperature is 160. Size of your meatballs will determine the cooking time.

These were really yummy and the mushrooms and yams really helped to keep it nice and moist. I was a little worried about making meatballs without bread but this was a brilliant solution on Nom Nom Paleo's part! I will definitely be scouring her site for more recipes!

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting, sounds good . . . do you think they would hold together as well if I didn't put in the yam?

    ReplyDelete